пятница, 24 мая 2013 г.

How We Styled Elliot’s Room To Sell

How We Styled Elliot’s Room To Sell


Emily Henderson_Staging to Sell_Guest Room_Light_Natural_Floral_1_Edited

When we put our house on the market we received advice about how to stage to sell. I wasn’t so much interested in whether or not that vase was too stylish for the coffee table, but more what are the big red flags with the masses. One thing was consistent: we were told emphatically to not have two baby rooms. That made sense as the idea of having two babies at two different stages is horrifying to most people. I get it. I’m well aware that my daily life looks like a backpack full of wrestling cats, and I’m the sucker wearing it, trying to order a cup of hot coffee at a quiet hipster coffee shop. I’m constantly embarrassed of my situation as well as feel like a bad ass that I’m in public despite my situation. We didn’t want our potential buyers to see that as their life. So we turned Elliot’s room into a guest room (Charlie’s room is a bit more ‘baby’ because of the animal wallpaper).


As a reminder, here is what her room looked like before the move. It was my favorite room in our old house:


Emily Henderson_Staging to Sell_Guest Room_Light_Natural_Floral_Before_3

I will forever remember this room as the one that I snuggled up with infant Elliot and nursed her and cuddled her for hours and hours. This is where we bonded. This is where we had our alone time. I barely remember that time because, well she has grown up so fast, but this room makes me cry because I know that the time was so good. I will forever be nostalgic of it.


But, it couldn’t stay a baby room so we turned it into a guest room to show future buyers what they could do with the space. I know that you’ll say it was more beautiful as Elliot’s room and you are right. But I think this is a great affordable and easy way to furnish a guest room (to sell or not), so that’s what we did.


Emily Henderson_Staging to Sell_Guest Room_Light_Natural_Floral_2_Edited
Because the wallpaper is a statement piece we kept all the furniture neutral. This was not my time to bring in a tie-dye headboard or some crazy Persian rug. We kept it calm, used neutrals, wood and some black to make sure it felt grounded.

Emily Henderson_Staging to Sell_Guest Room_Light_Natural_Floral_4
I accented with light pink because, well, even though no baby girl is involved in this space anymore this room longed for a pastel named pink as it paired perfectly with the green in the wallpaper.

Emily Henderson_Staging to Sell_Guest Room_Light_Natural_Floral_5

We borrowed the tables from 1000xbetter (a local staging company that let us pick from some of their items), but I believe that they bought them from Living Spaces. The rug is Target and simple and white like the original although we brought that one to the new house.


Emily Henderson_Staging to Sell_Guest Room_Light_Natural_Floral_6
We used symmetry to our favor to make sure that it looked balanced, pulled together and cohesive. If you want a space to look “designed” then symmetry is your friend especially when you have a more graphic element (like the wallpaper) in the room.

Emily Henderson_Staging to Sell_Guest Room_Light_Natural_Floral_7

We hung the Jane Denton pieces on the wall opposite the bed because they looked so great in here and we didn’t need them in the bedroom anymore. I LOVE them so much in here.


Emily Henderson_Staging to Sell_Guest Room_Light_Natural_Floral_8
I know that the nursery was gorgeous (in my humble opinion) but I think it transitioned really nicely into this guest room. Stay tuned for a few more style to sell posts (I know that we are late with these but it’s because we have are producing videos with Curbed that had a particular publishing schedule). And here is one of those videos for your viewing pleasure.

And if you are into the look, here are all the sources for the room:


Emily Henderson_Staging to Sell_Guest Room_Light_Natural_Floral_Get the Look

And finally, here’s a quick Style School to show you how we styled this room to feel calm, even with that bold wallpaper:



  • Neutral Bed Styling + Our Staged Guest Suite

Original article and pictures take stylebyemilyhenderson.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий