пятница, 17 июля 2009 г.

A first apartment in Brooklyn

A first apartment in Brooklyn
1taylor

Although it looks like she’s been living here for years, Taylor Anne only moved into this Crown Heights, Brooklyn apartment three months ago. In fact, she moved to New York City just four short months ago. Taylor moved to New York from Bloomington, Indiana where she worked for a trio of indie record labels, and she came to New York for her dream job with J.Crew and Madewell. While apartment hunting, she crashed on various friends sofas for a few days at a time. She wanted to take her time to find a place that felt like home and where she could put her own personal stamp on, and it worked out. She found a neighborhood she loved and in the process learned a lot about navigating the city as she jumped from couch to couch and neighborhood to neighborhood. This is the first place Taylor has even lived where she got to see from start to finish – and therefore, feels more like home than anywhere else. Even though she’s only 25, Taylor has been collecting objects for her home as long as she can remember. She finally has a place to put everything she loves. And now, in her new city, she can come home at the end of a long day and feel instantly relaxed. Pretty impressive. Thanks, Taylor! –Amy


Image above: I still don’t know quite how this room came together, but it did. Having the space for a queen-size bed, dresser, desk, AND wardrobe kind of threw me for a loop. It’s actually the biggest bedroom I’ve ever had. I just searched antique stores for the pieces that I needed, and luckily, they all seem to work together just fine. My desk is actually an old outdoor table base with a painted wooden top thrown on it instead of its original glass one. (Annie Sloan paints were used for this particular project)


2taylor

Image above After I found my apartment, I was desperately looking for a new light to replace the standard dome-shaped one on the ceiling in the living room. I saw a real knock-out white faux-antler chandelier in the window of an interior design shop in Manhattan, and knew I had to find some version of it that fit into my budget (I assure you, the one in the store window did not.) I had zero luck doing so here in the city, but when I went back to Indiana to pick up the rest of my belongings a month later, I found the one pictured at my favorite antique store back home for $50. It was meant to be. I really felt like a true New Yorker when I purchased this rug. I found it in Chelsea in the discount bin of a store for $80 (a total steal.) The sales clerk even made a comment about the price and told me I should buy it, run for the border, and never look back. She said jut to replace the word ‘border’ with Brooklyn and that’s exactly what I did. Even though it was roughly 100 degrees outside, I threw the rug over my shoulder, carried it to the subway, and have been admiring it on my floor ever since.


photo-53
See more of Taylor’s Brooklyn apartment after the jump!

3taylor

4taylor

Image above: Moving to New York was a big jump for me. I’ve lived in relatively small communities all my life, places where I could wake up in the morning and go for a hike before work or class with friends. I was 200% certain about my new job, but moving to NYC definitely seemed more than a little daunting to me. I’m a bit of a homebody at heart, and my idea of a good time is having friends over for dinner, so I knew if I could find an apartment that could hold all of the things that were important to me AND have space to entertain (how I pulled this off in NYC, I’ll never really know) I’d be ok.


5taylor

6taylor

7taylor

8taylor

9taylor

10taylor

11taylor

12taylor

Image above: My mother and her friend were the only reason I ever survived the physical act of moving here. They helped me drive the U-Haul and carry my furniture up the four flights of stairs, helped me change out light fixtures, put together furniture, and I think my mom is just great at finishing touches. Like any good mother, mine pulled together this bar with all of its contents for me as a very generous (and essential) house-warming present.


13taylor

Image above: When I initially went to look at this apartment, the kitchen nearly sent me running for the door… but it was a good size, and had good bones, so despite the broken floor tiles, blonde oak cabinets, and rainbow-tiled backsplash, I signed the lease anyway (after confirming that the super would replace the broken floor and that I’d be allowed to re-do the cabinets and find away to cover that rainbow backsplash.) I used a Rust-Oleum Cabinet Restoration Kit and found faux-tin roof tiles to literally glue right on top of the existing tile backsplash.


bathroomhall

1bathroom

Image above: I was born in a sea-town on the coast of South Carolina, so the ocean has always been really important to me. Being close to it again was one of the reasons I knew NYC and I’d get along so well. I wanted to find a room of the apartment where I could reflect said love for all things nautical. Even though a nautical bathroom may be kind of cliché, this just seemed like the best room to do it. The paint in this room is by Behr and it’s called “intellectual”. It’s the only room I actually painted, everything else in the apartment was already bright white!


2bathroom

14taylor

Original article and pictures take www.designsponge.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий